PRE-ANESTHETIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATIENTS
GENERAL ANESTHESIA OR INTRAVENOUS SEDATION
- Absolutely NO EATING OR DRINKING (including water) after midnight the day prior to your surgery, if appointment is scheduled in the morning. If surgery is scheduled after 12:00 noon, no eating or drinking for 6 hours before the appointment. Absolutely NO SMOKING for at least 24 hours before surgery (no smoking after surgery either). Not following these directions can result in intra-operative vomiting and airway obstruction which could be life threatening.
- Patients MUST make arrangements to be accompanied and transported home after treatment. It is not permitted to drive a vehicle for 24 hours following general anesthesia intravenous sedation. It is also not recommended to operate machinery or use public transportation during the 24 hour post-operative period.
- In your own interest and that of other patients, you should notify this office if you develop any cold, flu, sore throat, fever or any other infection.
- Please remember not to wear tight clothing or tight sleeves, and to remove contact lenses and dark nail polish.
- DO NOT WEAR EARRINGS.
- Surgery appointments with general anesthesia or IV sedation are scheduled very tightly. PLEASE NOTIFY US OF CANCELLATION AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
- If you are a minor, a parent must accompany you for your consultation and/or surgical appointments.
- Please do not take aspirin or aspirin compounds for 7-10 days prior to your surgery or as directed.
- If you are taking any anticoagulants or blood thinners your medications will have to be specially modified and discussed with Dr. Rimer before scheduling your surgical appointment. The modification of your medication regimen will be determined at your consultation.
- Nausea and/or vomiting may occur after surgery. Any difficulty in breathing or excessive bleeding should be reported to our office immediately. The patient should not remain at home alone the night following surgery. Especially if a general anesthetic or an IV sedation has been performed. Mental and physical activity should be limited until full alertness returns.
- Please remember that it is imperative that an accompanying adult who will be driving you home, must stay in the vicinity of the office for the entire time of your surgical procedure and the immediate post-operative recovery period.
*Due to the current COVID 19 precautions you may be asked to wait in your vehicle.
IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THESE INSTRUCTIONS,
PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE AT (561) 368-3170.